17 November 2023
– The government will have to fork out an additional N$1.7 billion for the 2024-2025 financial year to cover the 5% salary increment for civil servants at Grades 1-13, Secretary to the Cabinet, George Simataa has revealed. According to Simataa about N$500 million will be spent on back pay under the 2023-2024 financial year, dating back from April. – The Brief
– Polls have closed in Madagascar following a presidential election that was marred by opposition calls for a boycott and weeks of protest. They denounced President Andry Rajoelina’s bid for a third term and raised concerns about the poll’s credibility. – BBC
– The director of the Gaza Strip’s main hospital raided by Israeli soldiers says the facility has now run out of oxygen and water, and patients “are screaming from thirst”. – BBC
– Australia are through to the World Cup final after a tension-filled three-wicket win over South Africa in Kolkata. – BBC Sport
– Moderate to heavy falls with hailstorms are most likey in the Kunene and Otjozondjupa regions in places tomorrow.