09 November 2023
– Following the passing of Mr Axali Doëseb, composer and author of the National Anthem on 27 October 2023, President Hage G. Geingob has declared a period of national mourning commencing Friday, 10 November 2023 until Saturday, 11 November 2023 after the State Funeral. The President orders all flags in the Republic of Namibia, including diplomatic missions abroad to be flown at half-mast for the duration of this period of mourning.
– The German Development Bank (KfW) says it has spent N$15 billion in loans and grants to fund projects in Namibia and has pledged to spend a further N$6 billion for future projects, online magazine. – The Brief
– Dozens of Palestinians were killed in intense Israeli bombardments overnight in the Jabalia refugee camp in the north and Sabra in western Gaza. Amnesty International said heads of states attending today’s conference in Paris on humanitarian aid for Gaza must call for an “immediate ceasefire” amid Israel’s bombardment of the besieged enclave that has killed more than 10,500 Palestinians so far. – BBC
– The stage is set for an exhilarating showdown as rising Northern soccer team Eeshoke Chula Chula emerged victorious in a fan-driven SMS competition, securing their place to face the defending champions, African Stars, at the highly anticipated Dr. Hage Geingob Cup 2023 at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek on the 18th of November. Meanwhile…The Women’s Super League champions, Tura Magic and Gals & Goals, along with the two finalists of the MTC Hopsol Youth Soccer League, will also participate in this year’s competition.
– Moderate falls are most likely in the Ohangwena,Oshana,Oshikoto and Otjozondjupa regions tomorrow in places, spreading southwards into the weekend.