– The UK Government has appointed VFS Global as its visa agent in 142 countries including Namibia. The UK Government introduced a visa requirement for all Namibian nationals intending to travel to the UK including those visiting the country. The decision to implement the visa regime, according to the UK Government, comes as a response to a notable increase in UK asylum applications from Namibian citizens, which has been a cause of concern since 2016. – The Brief
– Fresh criminal charges against Angolan billionaire Isabel dos Santos are politically motivated, a lawyer for the businesswoman has said. BBC reports that Angola’s public prosecutor has charged Ms Dos Santos with 12 crimes, including embezzlement and fraud, reports said. – BBC
– UN rights experts say “every single person in Gaza is hungry” as Israel continues to bomb, besiege and block aid to the territory. – BBC
– Namibia produced a huge upset as Deon Hotto’s 88th-minute header secured a 1-0 victory over Tunisia in their 2023 Africa Cup of Nations opener. The remarkable result means Namibia are second in the table on goal difference following Mali’s 2-0 win over South Africa. – BBC Sport
– Moderate to heavy storms are most likely in the North-eastern regions.