MiLife – The benefits of essential oils for sore muscles
Muscle aches and pains plague everyone- some people more than others. Whether it’s due to exercise, illness or just a certain monthly visitor, soreness can change what began as a great day into a terrible one. Before you reach for a pain reliever made of chemicals, try aromatherapy. All natural and easy to use, essential oils provide relief of pain while uplifting your mood.
Why Essential Oils Work
Many different things cause aches and pains:
- Sports or exercise, including injury (strains and sprains), overexerted muscles and even overstretched muscles.
- Inflammation from a strain or underlying illness.
- Rheumatism, which causes joint pain that, in turn, effects your muscles.
- Bad posture (combine your treatment with yoga or Pilates to help strengthen your core and encourage good posture).
- Headaches and migraines.
Essential oils made from all natural ingredients have two main properties to manage pain symptoms: analgesic and anti-inflammatory. These properties are also found in over-the-counter pain relievers, so using essential oils instead will help you deal with the symptoms without having to ingest chemically manufactured ingredients.
Also known as “painkiller”, analgesic properties provide relief from pain by acting on the peripheral and central nervous system… essentially “fooling” your brain into believing there is no pain. Try essential oils with these properties instead of over-the-counter acetaminophen-based pain relievers.
Reduces inflammation or swelling, which is sometimes all you need to reduce pain. These work best when combined with analgesics to help manage pain. Try essential oils with these properties instead of over-the-counter ibuprofen-based pain relievers. Note: If you suffer from a chronic illness, persistent pain, or are pregnant, consult your doctor before using essential oils. Remember, your doctor knows best!
Using Essential Oils
There are four ways to treat muscle aches and pain with aromatherapy:
Combining the effects of essential oils with a long massage creates an environment that promotes relaxation and healing.
- Mix your essential oil of choice with your massage oil (10 drops of essential oil per 30 ml of massage oil).
- Massage your mixture into the sore muscle.
There’s nothing like a long, hot bath to release tension and ease your aches and pains, whether they’re muscular, joint or stress related.
- While the tub is filling, toss in 2-3 cups Epsom salt and 10 drops of your essential oil of choice.
- Optional: to ensure the essential oils really mix with the bath water, mix them with a carrier oil first.
- Sink into the tub and enjoy true bliss.
If you don’t have time for a massage or a bath, diffusing the essential oils into your space is the easiest way to ensure you have all the benefits without infringing on your busy schedule.
- Fill and start the diffuser as per the manufacturer’s instructions (usually: fill water tank and add 5 – 7 drops of essential oil).
- Start the diffuser.
- Go about your work while breathing in the lovely, pain relieving aromas.
You’ve heard of the healing effects of a hot or cold compress (hot to ease muscle tension, cold to reduce swelling). Now imagine the effects when you add essential oils!
- Boil or chill water and pour into a bowl.
- Mix in 4 drops of your chosen essential oil.
- Soak towel in the mixture.
- Press to effected muscle or joint.
- When the towel has reached room temperature again, repeat the above steps.
Never apply concentrated essential oils directly to your skin. ALWAYS dilute them first. Also, stay hydrated and make sure to include the proper vitamins and minerals in your daily diet.
Start your personal lifestyle journey today by registering with MiLife for N$150 per month for 24 months.
Visit www.milife.na or call +264 81 829 5111 today for more information.